Work in an environment that is always uptempo.
Steinway & Sons is seeking individuals who possess the desire, passion, and experience to join our organization in producing, selling, or supporting the world’s finest pianos. We offer unique opportunities in Manufacturing, Marketing, Finance and other corporate functions in our New York City locations.
Our Retail sales organization has a variety of sales related roles based in our New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, California, Seattle and Chicago locations.
If you are interested in one of the open positions below or would like to know more about becoming part of Steinway & Sons, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manager, Cost Accounting
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Cost Accountant for our office located in Astoria, NY. The Cost Accountant is responsible for planning, directing and providing necessary oversight to the Cost Accounting function together with one direct report.
Key responsibilities include active participation in all cost accounting functions including recommending, implementing and monitoring cost control methods, developing standard costs, facilitating external audits, conducting & reconciling physical inventories and ensuring timely & accurate disbursements. Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and analyses as it relates to gross margin and inventory areas including preparation of written commentaries quantifying risks & opportunities to budget, forecast and prior year.
- Accountable for the development of Company cost and inventory accounting policies and administer approved accounting procedures to ensure compliance. Particular emphasis on maintaining internal controls and facilitating external audits.
- Prepare and review monthly cost accounting journal entries and create product cost statements and operating reports.
- Accountable for the monthly reconciliation of all inventory related balance sheet accounts, investigate inventory expenditures, cost of goods sold and variance data.
- Recommend, develop and implement methods to improve calculating and controlling costs by developing effective partnerships with Manufacturing and Procurement.
- Compile gross margin data for use in developing operating budgets and forecasts.
- Review bills of material and labor routings for standard cost roll up. Prepare cost estimates and ROI for new or proposed products, projects and programs.
- Maintain integrity of production job order cost and MRP systems by working closely with manufacturing, engineering, production control and procurement.
- Ensure the accuracy of inventory records using cycle counts and annual physical inventory.
- Work closely with the VP, Finance and other senior management to monitor key financial performance indicators and make recommendations to improve performance.
Qualifications, education and experience:
- BS in Finance or Accounting required / CPA or MBA preferred.
- 7 to 10 years related cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, especially as it relates to inventory and cost accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; experience with Microsoft Dynamics Navision and Host Analytics desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively with peers and senior management, the drive to continuously improve performance and the presence to lead and actively participate in meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to influence business initiatives.
- Opinion is sought out by business partners for advice and solutions; uses sound financial analysis to support the decision making process.
Sales Manager - Pittsburgh
Steinway & Sons is currently seeking an experienced Sales and Business Development Manager with a passion for luxury and a love of the arts for its company-owned showroom in Pittsburgh.
The primary focus of the Sales Manager is to build and develop the Pittsburgh market through a pro-active approach to local marketing and networking as well as managing personal and store sales.
The right candidate has a proven track record in successfully generating sales and business development, demonstrated excellent skills in administration, operations and management within luxury retail or project type sales. The candidate must have an outgoing and engaging personality and be a natural leader, who can engage with clients on many different levels. While the ability to play piano is not a requirement for the job, musical and tonal understanding is highly beneficial as our clients often seek guidance and recommendations during instrument selections. Experience with business development and lead generating activities are required to ensure a continued pro-active approach to sales.
- Achieve personal and market sales goals
- Analyze and implement programs to drive performance
- Engage in and oversee business development
- Develop and cultivate customer leads and relationships
- Oversee and manage sales leads within the market
- Manage the day to day prospect follow up
- Develop a sales referral outreach program for key influencers (i.e. piano technicians, real estate agents, designers, piano teachers…)
- Coordinate all piano technical needs and after sale follow up (tuning, etc.)
- Communicate, implement and manage all in market-wide promotional events and activities (generating and cultivating sales)
- Facilitate best in class customer service
Qualifications, education and experience:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and experience in customer service or sales within the music business (piano preferred)
- Outstanding sales and sales management skills
- Superior communication, planning, and organizational skills
- Basic knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- Highly motivated, results-oriented self-starter with excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work independently and drive new business
- Min. 2 year experience within luxury / professional sales in a commission based environment
- Note: This position requires local travel, and candidate must have access to a car. Candidates must be able to lift 20-50 lbs. and be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time
Concert Technician - Astoria, NY
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Concert Technician for our office located in Astoria, NY. The Concert Technician is responsible for providing piano technician and selection services for Artists and venues to support external events and concerts.
- Prepare and maintain concert instruments
- Test the tone and action of concert & artist pianos to assure Steinway standards are met
- Direct the required adjustments and corrections prior to putting piano into service
- Assist in selection process of pianos to be used by various artists and answer their technical questions
- Adjust piano to specific demands of performer within Steinway tolerances
- Meet the expectations of artists and customers through the regulations and/or voicing of individual instruments according to Steinway performance standards
- Provide concert-ready maintenance and tuning of Steinway concert pianos in tristate areas venues
- Attend and remain on location for certain events, recordings, etc. which may be requested by the artist or venue
Qualifications, education and experience:
- High school diploma
- 2 years formal training school for piano technology or related certifications
- 5+ years of piano technician experience
- Experience supporting festivals preferred
- Must be able to do solid concert tunings, have experience in voicing Steinway hammers and regulating skills
- All candidates must participate in technical evaluation
Industrial Plumber - Astoria, NY
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Industrial Plumber for our manufacturing facility located in Astoria, NY. This role is responsible for but not limited to maintaining steam and water pipes. In addition this role is responsible for maintaining and making necessary repairs to the boiler and fire sprinkler system according to specifications or plumbing codes.
- Analyze plumbing problems and determine repairs needed
- Performs routine maintenance of steam and water pipes; cuts and threads pipes as required
- Installs, maintains and repairs as necessary the following equipment: water coolers, air conditioners, pumps, air lines and filters
- Maintains and repairs sprinkler system as required
- Perform all daily maintenance functions and 5S requirements (i.e. clean and sweep area)
- Train staff as required
- Enter data in T&A system, and close out work orders
- Perform other functions in the Maintenance Department as needed
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- Must have experience in an industrial/manufacturing setting
- Must possess a High School diploma or trade school certificate
- 5-10 years experience required
- Ability to use simple math and measuring instruments in various calculations as required for routine plumbing
- Ability to occasionally lift heavy equipment and parts
- Requires a high degree of mental/visual effort
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Foreman for our manufacturing facility located in Astoria, NY. This role is responsible for but not limited to maintaining production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment as well as supervising staff.
- Coordinates and oversees the industrial repair of production equipment and maintenance work assignments performed by internal company maintenance technicians or contractors
- Assesses equipment, materials and labor required to complete a wide range of machine repairs and maintenance tasks to insure that jobs are complete to high standards
- Proactively seeks out waste of resources and initiates actions to improve methods and reduce costs
- Assists in the selection of new hires as well as on going coaching, development, and disciplining of current union maintenance staff. Involved in day-to-day supervising and work assignment to insure work force productivity
- Ensures that maintenance employees gain and maintain a thorough understanding of safety regulations and provide guidance on departmental and company policies and procedures
- Has good working knowledge of standard OSHA regulations and practices (e.g. Lock Out/Tag Out, Haz Comm)
- Maintains a variety of manual and electronic files related to facilities inspections and compliance reporting in order to comply with regulatory requirements
- Insures that the Maintenance Department tools, parts & equipment, and vehicles are well maintained and are able to meet intended objectives
- Maintains production and facilities on-hand spare parts inventory
- Obtains and reviews price quotes for the procurement of parts, services, and labor for various maintenance and facilities projects
- Has broad experience and familiarity with building HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, hydraulic/pneumatic and fire safety systems
- Ensure routine preventive maintenance on equipment is done
Qualifications, education and experience:
- At least 5 year’s supervisory experience in an industrial/manufacturing setting
- Able to analyze, plan and solve problems
- Able to read prints and drawings and have solid math and mechanical aptitude
- Able to work with minimal supervision and execute sound independent judgment
- Able to communicate effectively with diverse groups
About Steinway & Sons
Steinway & Sons was founded in 1853 by German immigrant Henry Engelhard Steinway in a Manhattan loft on Varick Street. Over the next thirty years, Henry and his sons, C. F. Theodore, Charles, Henry Jr., William, and Albert, developed the modern piano. They built their pianos one at a time, applying skills that were handed down from master to apprentice, generation after generation.
Today, we still build our pianos that way. Each Steinway grand piano, for example, takes nearly a year to create. Nothing is hurried. Even the carefully selected woods employed in the rims, tops, soundboards, and actions cure for months in our yard, kilns and conditioning rooms.
Steinway is dedicated to the ideal of making the finest pianos in the world. The result is instruments renowned for their unsurpassed quality. Pianos with such superior sound and responsive touch that they enchant the most demanding pianists. We are preferred overwhelmingly by people who share the joy of playing and owning the finest musical instrument — a joy which can be yours when you bring a Steinway into your life.
Steinway & Sons is an Equal Opportunity Employer.